Effective Date: January 31, 2011
Collecting personal information
We may use a third party to provide identity verification services on our site. At the point that a donor expresses interest in making a transfer of funds available to you, we will share your name, address, phone number, and Social Security Number as necessary for such donor and/or such third party to verify your identity. Donors and such third party are prohibited from using your personally identifiable information for any other purpose.
Personal information may be collected in a number of ways, such as when you visit the Site with your Internet browser or use the Service. In addition, GreenNote may ask you to provide certain personal information when filling out and submitting registration forms or providing feedback to GreenNote. When registering or applying to receive or provide a transfer of funds pursuant to the Service, you may be asked to provide your social security number, a bank account number, contact information, your name and other personal information. Also, you may post to the Site or transmit to GreenNote personal information, photographs, videos, and other content, such as to your social networking profile, through messaging functionality on the Site, or to a public bulletin board, blog, chat room or other forum on the Site. You understand that information contained in your social networking profile may be generally available on the GreenNote site. Although your profile is specifically made available to prospective donors and people that they may potentially recommend, it may also be viewed by other individuals unless you opt to make your profile private. All such content that you post to the Site is done at your own risk and GreenNote bears no responsibility for any such content or any liability for any claims arising out of such content. You should also be aware that any personal information you use on our blog can be used, read, or collected by other users of the blog and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for personal information you choose to submit in the blog.
When you use the Site, GreenNote may also collect certain information about your computer to facilitate and evaluate your use of the Site and the Service. For example, we may log environmental variables, such as browser type, operating system, referring or exit web pages, and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer. We may on occasion supplement the personal information you submit to us with information from third-party sources. For example, if permitted under applicable law, we may supplement your Registration Information (defined below) with address standardization data to verify the address you have entered is actually your address.
Use of personal information
In general, we use personal information we collect to facilitate possible transfers of funds by donors to beneficiaries, to provide you with information or services you request, to inform you about other information and services we think will be of interest to you, to facilitate your use and our administration and operation of the Site and the Service, to learn more about and improve the Site and the Service, and for the purpose for which the information was provided. For example, we may use the information we collect in the following ways:
- To facilitate the transfer of funds by a donor to a beneficiary pursuant to the Service.
- To verify your identity and contact information.
- To send you a welcoming email and contact you about your use of the Site and the Service, for administrative purposes or to provide you with customer service.
- To respond to your emails, suggestions, feedback, requests for new features, help requests or other comments, questions or complaints.
- To qualify your entry into a contest and to contact you regarding the contest or prize awards.
- To track customer preferences and keep you informed about new services, special offers, and other products and services of GreenNote and selected third parties unless you have opted not to receive such communications or such communications are prohibited by law.
- Use aggregate, non-identifying statistical data collected about the use of the Service and the Site (such as the number of downloads, viewing statistics of web pages, how many users we receive and the IP/Internet address of your computer) for improving the Site and the Service, providing more relevant experiences to our customers and for statistical analysis.
Sharing your personal information
We only share your personal information with unaffiliated third parties as permitted or required by law. For example, we may share certain of your personal information with:
- Beneficiaries and potential beneficiaries, such as the donor's or prospective donor's name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Donors and potential donors, such as the beneficiary's or prospective beneficiary's name, address, phone number, email address, and descriptive data about the potential beneficiary and his or her school.
- Other potential donors who are members of the GreenNote Network--persons who may want to make a transfer of funds to a beneficiary based on shared background or interests (for example, alumni of and donors to a beneficiary's intended educational institution). As a beneficiary, you may choose whether or not to share your profile and associated information with other members of the GreenNote Network.
- Companies that help us verify your identity.
- Select companies that may make available to you products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. You will have the option to choose not to participate in ("opt out") this service, as the default option afforded to you at the time of registration is to share your information to such companies.
- Law enforcement or other agencies, judicial proceedings, and other governmental authorities as required by law.
GreenNote reserves the right to disclose your personal information as required by law and when we believe that such disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served to GreenNote.
When we share your personal information with vendors and service providers who perform functions on our behalf, we require that they keep your information confidential and secure, and that they use it only as is reasonably necessary to carry out their work or comply with applicable law. In addition, personal information may be disclosed or transferred to our affiliates and as part of, or during negotiations of, a merger, consolidation, sale of company assets or equity, financing, acquisition, strategic alliance or in any other situation where personal information may be transferred as one of the business assets of GreenNote. GreenNote does not share, rent, or trade your personal information with third parties for their promotional purposes.
Protecting your personal information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the security, confidentiality and integrity of your personal information. The personal information that you provide online in connection with registering yourself as a user of the Site or of the Service (including to register as a beneficiary or donor) or use the Service is protected in several ways. Access by you to such personal information is available through a password and unique customer ID selected by you. This password is encrypted. To protect the confidentiality of such personal information, you should not divulge your password to anyone. You are responsible for all uses of the Site and Service by any person using your customer ID and password. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been compromised. In addition, your personal information resides on servers or in areas of facilities that only selected GreenNote personnel and contractors have access to. GreenNote encrypts all data that you submit to GreenNote through the Site, and thereby attempts to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information when it is transmitted to GreenNote. Please note that any information you submit by email may not be secure, so please do not send any sensitive information or materials in or attached to any email to GreenNote.
Please note that any information, photos, videos, and other content you post to your social networking profile or to any public bulletin board, blog, chat room or other forum is available to all persons accessing that location, and your e-mail address may also be posted on these venues. The information you share, including your email address, would then be available to all persons accessing these venues, and such information may be read, collected or used by others for any purpose, including sending you unsolicited messages. GreenNote is not responsible for any information you elect to submit in these venues or the use of such information.
Your choices regarding your personal information
GreenNote or third parties may communicate information to you regarding products, services and special offers available from GreenNote or selected third parties unless you have opted not to receive such communications or such communications are prohibited by law. If you do not wish to receive such communications, you may decide not to opt-in at the time of registration or information collection. After registration, you can change your contact preferences online at www.greennote.com. You may also change your contact preferences by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailing a request to GreenNote, Inc., Attn: Customer Care, PO BOX 3006, Rancho Cordova, CA 95741. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving email or other communications from GreenNote or third parties, you may still be contacted by email, telephone, or US mail regarding your use of the Service. Our systems may require time to update, so your opt-out requests may not be updated immediately.
Data not collected on the Site or in connection with the Service
Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies and similar devices. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie or similar device, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it. (For some web pages that require an authorization, cookies are not optional. Users choosing not to accept cookies or similar devices will probably not be able to access those pages or the related products and services.)